Pauline Muskego

Pauline Muskego

May 18, 2015

SASKATOON – On May 18, 2004, Daleen Bosse was out with friends and was expected home that night. It was early the next morning that Bosse's mother, Pauline Muskego, began a journey that continues to this day.

Muskego's son, Dana, was babysitting Bosse's daughter while she was out. He called his parents when Bosse did not call home to check on her daughter.

"We came to Saskatoon right away to find out what was going on," Muskego recalled. "We didn't want to believe anything had happened."

Pauline, her husband, Herb, and son filled in a police report. They started to piece together the timeline of the evening of what happened up until they last heard from her.

"Two and a half weeks later her abandoned vehicle was found," said Muskego. "We were still hoping she would come home."

Posters went up around the city and the family spoke to connections in communities around the province. A $10,000 reward was offered for information leading to Bosse's return or discovery.

"I don't have anything bad to say about the police," noted Muskego. "But at the beginning, she was just another missing person."

The officer who first spoke to Muskego pointed to a high stack of files and informed her that her daughter's file was down near the bottom.

"We searched for four long years and we never gave up," Muskego stated. "To us, she wasn't a police file number or a statistic, . . . she was a daughter, a mother, a wife, a scholar."

Bosse's murdered body was discovered by police through an investigation method known as a "Mr. Big" sting, in which an undercover police officer pretends to be a criminal in order to gain information from the suspect.


Douglas Hales, a bouncer at the bar where Bosse was last seen, was arrested in August 2008. Hales was eventually convicted of second-degree murder and of offering an indignity to a body.

"He has served six years already and has to serve nine years before he is up for parole," Muskego said. "The justice system is out of our hands, so we just have to rely that [justice] will be done."

Muskego spoke at the Voices of Our Sisters event April 18 at Mayfair United Church.

Daleen was preparing to enter the fourth year of the Indian Teacher Education Program at the University of Saskatchewan when she was murdered. She wanted to follow in the footsteps of her parents, who were both teachers.

Muskego several times especially expressed gratitude for Saskatoon Police Chief Clive Weighill, who twice visited their reserve, Onion Lake First Nation. "He came to encourage us, (to say) that they weren't giving up."