Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of May 26, 2008
Deacons ready for ordination
Special to the WCR
The Edmonton Archdiocese's first class of permanent deacons is set to be ordained Friday, July 4.
Archbishop Richard Smith will ordain the 11 men, aged 45 to 62, at a 7 p.m. Mass at St. Joseph Basilica.
In addition to the 11 permanent deacons, seminarian Michael Schumacher will be ordained as a transitional deacon, a step in his formation for the priesthood.
Those called to the permanent diaconate come from a variety of backgrounds across the archdiocese. They have been prepared for ordination through the archdiocese's diaconate formation program, which began in September 2004.
- Mauricio Amador, 53, of Edmonton, an insurance broker. He is married to Mila and the couple have four grown children.
- Claude Baril, 52, of Didsbury, a financial administrator. He is married to Margaret and the couple have five children aged 14 to 26.
- Paul Croteau, 47, of Edmonton, a business administrator currently serving as executive director of the Foundation of Newman Theological College and St. Joseph Seminary. He is married to Barbara and the couple have one grown child.
- Leo Farley, 61, of Wetaskiwin, a retired businessman. He is married to Gerry and the couple have four children aged 13 to 27.
- Jose Huezo, 58, of Edmonton, a mechanical/metallurgical technologist. He is married to Victoria and they have four grown children.
- Stan Kroetsch, 62, of Redwater, retired sales rep and a past director of Radway Bible School. He is married to Darlean and the couple have two grown children.
- John Lindsay, 54, of Edmonton, a lawyer and former chief of Edmonton Police Service. He is married to Louise and the couple have four grown children.
- Donald Logan, 53, of Calahoo, a public servant with Alberta Learning. He is married to Margaret and the couple have two grown children.
- Kenneth Noster, 55, of Derwent, a farmer, director of Wisdom Home Schooling, a founder/president of the Living Water College of the Arts. He is married to Marlane and the couple have six children aged 13 to 26.
- Lynn Pion, 45, of Lloydminster, collections manager with Synergy Credit Union. He is married to Shelley and the couple have five children aged 15 to 22.
- Douglas Tien, 55, of Camrose, self-employed chartered accountant at Tien Rostad LLP, Chartered Accountants. He is married to Mary and the couple have one daughter, aged 19.
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 -- Western Catholic Reporter
Our mission: To serve our readers by bringing the Gospel to bear on current issues in the Church and in secular culture through accurate news coverage and reflective commentary.