Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of February 4, 2008
Physicians protest 20 years of abortion without controls
Abortion fatal for unborn, dangerous for women
From Physicians for Life
Special to the WCR
Since the Supreme Court's Morgentaler decision in 1988, Canada remains the only civilized country in the world with no legal restraint on abortion.
Abortion advocates in and out of the medical profession continue to falsely claim a consensus on this open practice. Yet polls repeatedly show that two-thirds of Canadians want some legal protection for the unborn child, and the Morgentaler justices themselves stated the state's interest in this goal.
As physicians, we see how our justice system lags behind science:
- There is no medical indication for abortion.
- There is no biological difference between a "wanted" and an "unwanted" child in the womb.
- A fetus born prematurely at 24 weeks becomes a "baby" with the full protection of Canadian law, while a fetus four months older, still in the womb at full term, has no legal rights at all.
- Genocide against female babies in the womb, with ultrasound and abortion as the weapons, are a reality in certain cultures in Canada, yet cannot be questioned (unless hypocritically) by an uncompromising pro-choice ideology.
Abortion is not only fatal for the unborn child, but dangerous for the pregnant woman who makes this choice. The only true choice is an informed choice, yet we question the validity of a woman's informed consent for abortion when its advocates deny or attempt to cover up the true complication rate.
An independent Ontario study revealed that in the first three months after abortion, a woman falls victim to:
- A four-times rate of hospitalization for infection.
- A five-times rate of hospitalization for another surgical procedure.
- A five-times rate of hospitalization for psychiatric care, in a health care system when only the most dire psychological cases can get a hospital bed.
The world literature is replete with the reported increased risk of infertility, breast cancer, and subsequent premature delivery and its associated higher rate of cerebral palsy after an earlier abortion.
Lack of new abortionists
Abortion advocates are frustrated by the dearth of new young physicians required to perform abortions. They are organizing radical new plans to indoctrinate medical school curricula with their agenda and defy any alternate voice.
Most sinister of all, they cry out to punish doctors of conscience who resist plans to force them to be part of the abortion referral network.
They cannot accept the real reason why most doctors do not go into abortion: very few young, intelligent and caring medical students go into the wonderful field of medicine to kill.
Has it all gone too far?
Long line for adoptions
We see another pressing social need that rarely commands much media attention: the long, heartbreaking lineup of couples who want to adopt a newborn baby.
When the adoption option is considered, there need be no such thing as an "unwanted" child and therefore no need for abortion. That is a society we'd like to see and care for.
Can Canada do better? Twenty years after Morgentaler, we think so.
Canadian Physicians for Life is an educational organization representing physicians who hold that reverence for every human life lies at the root of all medical tradition. It can be reached by phone at 613-728-5433 or by email at email@example.com.)