Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of June 30, 2003
Collins sets up vocations team
Parish changes affect 14 priests
By WCR Staff
The Edmonton Archdiocese will have a three-priest vocation team to encourage and support men who may be called to enter the seminary.
The team, headed by Father Paul Moret as full-time director, will also include Fathers Patrick Baska and Michael Mireau who will serve on a part-time basis.
They will replace Father Stephen Hero, vocation director for the past two years, who has been granted a leave to study in Rome.
Those changes highlight the annual list of priest appointments announced by Archbishop Thomas Collins.
The changes are:
Effective May 16
- Father Stanley Ksciuk becomes part-time associate pastor of St. Agnes Parish and St. Anthony Parish in Edmonton, and part-time chaplain at the University of Alberta Hospital.
Effective June 13
- Basilian Father John Gallagher, pastor of St. Agnes Parish and St. Anthony Parish in Edmonton, becomes president of Newman Theological College.
Effective Aug. 6
- Father Thomas Alukka, from India, becomes associate pastor of Holy Family Parish, St. Albert, assisting the pastor, Father John Hesse.
- Father Patrick Baska, in addition to serving as pastor of St. Alphonsus Parish, Edmonton, joins the archdiocesan vocation team.
- Father Stephen Hero, current archdiocesan vocation director, has been granted a study leave in Rome.
- Father Paul Kavanagh, associate pastor of Holy Family Parish, St. Albert, becomes pastor of Christ-King Parish, Stettler, and attached parishes (Castor, Consort, Delburne, Veteran).
- Father Roger Keeler returns to Edmonton from study leave in Ottawa, and becomes pastor of St. Michael/Resurrection Parish.
- Father Tesfu Kelati, pastor of St. Michael/Resurrection Parish, becomes pastor of St. Agnes Parish and St. Anthony Parish in Edmonton.
- Father Thomas Maliakkal, as well as serving as chaplain at the University of Alberta Hospital, becomes dominical vicar of St. Theresa Parish, Ma-Me-O Beach, with residence at St. John the Evangelist Parish.
- Father Mark McGee, pastor in Stettler becomes pastor of St. Margaret Parish, Rimbey and attached parishes (Sylvan Lake, Bentley, Winfield), as well as administrator of St. Matthew Parish, Rocky Mountain House, and attached parishes (Caroline, Evergreen).
- Father Michael Mireau, in addition to serving as associate pastor of St. Theresa Parish, Edmonton, joins the archdiocesan vocation team.
- Father Paul Moret, pastor in Rimbey and administrator in Rocky Mountain House, becomes archdiocesan vocation director.
- Father Vernon Regis, associate pastor of St. Agnes and St. Anthony parishes, Edmonton, retires from active parish ministry.
- Father Jan Sobkowicz, associate pastor in Spruce Grove and Villeneuve becomes pastor of St. Peter Parish, Villeneuve, and attached parishes (Calahoo, Mearns, Riviere-Qui-Barre).
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 -- Western Catholic Reporter
Our mission: To serve our readers by bringing the Gospel to bear on current issues in the Church and in secular culture through accurate news coverage and reflective commentary.