Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of September 30, 2002
15 mysteries of the rosary
- The Annunciation: Mary humbly accepts the call delivered by the angel to be the mother of the Saviour.
- The Visitation: Mary is recognized as mother of the Savior when she visits her cousin Elizabeth.
- The Nativity: Jesus is born.
- The Presentation of the Lord: Jesus is presented in the Temple and prophecies are made about the path of his life.
- Jesus is Found in the Temple: The wisdom and knowledge of Jesus are manifested as he teaches the Temple elders.
- Agony in the Garden: Jesus sweats blood as he prepares to accept his death on the cross.
- Jesus is Scourged at the Pillar: Jesus' body is whipped and beaten.
- Jesus is Crowned with Thorns: Jesus is cruelly mocked and humiliated by soldiers who crown him with thorns and bow before him.
- Jesus Carries His Cross: Jesus hauls the wood on which he will die to the place of his eventual death.
- The Crucifixion: Jesus is hammered to the cross where he dies.
Many devotional books and tapes are available at Catholic bookstores to help you meditate on the mysteries of the rosary.
- The Resurrection: Jesus conquers death by rising to a new and more glorious life.
- The Ascension: Jesus ascends to the Father leaving us to spread his kingdom.
- Descent of the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit comes down upon the disciples giving them and us power to be the kingdom.
- The Assumption of Mary: The Mother of God is taken up, body and soul, to eternal life.
- Mary is Crowned Queen of Heaven: Mary is given a share in Christ's sovereignty over eternal life.
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 -- Western Catholic Reporter
Our mission: To serve our readers by bringing the Gospel to bear on current issues in the Church and in secular culture through accurate news coverage and reflective commentary.