Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of February 25, 2002
Edmonton holds World Day of Prayer March 1
By WCR Staff
Nineteen churches in the Edmonton area will hold services March 1 marking the 2002 World Day of Prayer.
The World Day of Prayer is a worldwide ecumenical movement of Christian women who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year.
It was started by women more than 100 years ago and is observed in more than 170 countries today.
This year's service was written by the women of Romania as they reflected on the the theme Challenged to Reconcile.
Many of the 23 million people in Romania live in poverty, yet the country has a rich cultural heritage.
Among the local parishes holding World Day of Prayer services March 1 are:
St. Matthias Anglican Church, 6210-188 St.. is holding its prayer service on Feb.27 at 7 p.m.
- St. Andrews United, 9915-148 St. at 1:30 p.m.
- St. Peter's Anglican, 11035-127 St. at 2 p.m.
- St. Edmund's Parish, 13120-116 St. at 7 p.m.
- St. Dominic Savio Parish, 14402-62 St. at 7:30 p.m.
- Robertson Wesley United, 10209-123 St. at 1:30 p.m.
- Maranatha Christian Reformed, 11905-47 St., 2p.m.
- Christian Reformed, 6811-92A Ave. at 7:30 p.m.
- Community of Christ, 6919-83 St. at 7 p.m.
- Edmonton Moravian, 9540-83 Ave. at 7:30 p.m.
- Pleasantview United, 10672-62 Ave. at 1:30 p.m.
- Calvary Lutheran, 10815-76 Ave. at 7 p.m.
- Braeside Presbyterian, 6 Bernard Dr., St. Albert, 7:30 p.m.
- St. Patrick's Anglican, 334 Knottwood Rd. N., 7:30 p.m.
- Sherwood Park United, 20 Fir St. at 7 p.m.
- St. Augustine's Parkland Anglican, Spruce Grove, 219 Main St. 7:30 p.m.
- Heritage Place Lodge, 10015-101 Ave. Morinville, 1:30 p.m.
- Bible Fellowship, Clandonald at 2 p.m.
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 -- Western Catholic Reporter
Our mission: To serve our readers by bringing the Gospel to bear on current issues in the Church and in secular culture through accurate news coverage and reflective commentary.