Last Updated: Tuesday - 01/04/2011
March 12, 2001
Project FIRST proposals
Here are some recommendations from the Edmonton Catholic Schools' Project FIRST report:
- Move English K-9 program from St. Basil to St. Alphonsus and St. Catherine, Keep Polish program (K-6) at Basil and lease the rest of the space (*) (already approved).
- Convert St. Hilda to a junior high school and transport all junior high students living west of 34th Street and north of 34th Avenue to St. Hilda. (*)
- Convert Blessed Kateri to an elementary school.
Move elementary students from St. Hilda to St. Elizabeth and John Paul I based on a boundary determination.
- Move a part of the IOP from St. Francis of Assisi to St. Hilda.
- Create a single campus with St. Anne K-2 and St. Philip 3-6. (*)
- Designate surplus space at St. Brendan to create a satellite high school to Austin O'Brien.
- Review placement of IOP programs among junior highs throughout the division.
- Implement a feasibility study to review French immersion program locations to address accessibility issues in West and North. Implement high school French immersion at Archbishop O'Leary (contingent on study).
Create Magnet Programs:
- Designate at St. Edmund: Centre for excellence in academics and athletics.
- Designate a sports academy program at Archbishop O'Leary.
- Designate St. Clement: primary and middle years international baccalaureate program.
- Designate St. Thomas More: middle years international baccalaureate program.
- Create a centre of excellence for inner city children at Sacred Heart with medical, children's and adult education services.
- Examine feasibility of year-round schooling at Annunciation and St. Thomas More.
- Examine feasibility of year-round schooling at St. Catherine and St. Joe's.
- Examine the possibility of implementing an all-girls school or all-girls program at St. James.
- Designate St. Alphonsus as a fine arts school.
- Implement full-day kindergarten for all high needs area schools (not presently part of AISI project) to include: Annunciation, Our Lady of Peace, St. Bernadette, St. Edmund, St. Elizabeth, St. Elizabeth Seton, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Jerome, St. Justin, St. Leo and St. Maria Goretti.
(*) indicates proposal requires board approval.
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 -- Western Catholic Reporter
Our mission: To serve our readers by bringing the Gospel to bear on current issues in the Church and in secular culture through accurate news coverage and reflective commentary.