Week of December 25, 2000
Castor refurbishes cemetery, honours sisters
By MILDRED NICHOLS
Special to the WCR
Our Lady of Grace Catholic Women's League and the parish at Castor, recently celebrated the completion of their millennium and jubilee project.
Retired Archbishop Joseph MacNeil assisted by our parish priest, Father Marc McGee and former pastor Father Greg Bittman, now archdiocesan chancellor, presided at a special Mass and the dedication ceremonies.
The Catholic cemetery land was purchased by the archdiocese in 1909 and a cross erected on site. Time and the elements dictated that the cross be removed and replaced.
The new cross has a wide seat and a most impressive base to accommodate the seven-foot high granite cross.
The ornamental gateway, fashioned from Rundle rock, presents a pleasant entrance to the well-kept grounds.
The cross and gateway provide a lasting memorial to all those wonderful pioneers who passed this way.
The Daughters of Wisdom were also honoured by the doctors, staff and board members of Our Lady of Rosary Hospital.
They chose a bench and cairn, situated on the bank overlooking Castor Creek and just east of the hospital. It provides a pleasant respite after climbing the hill.
Five French-speaking sisters arrived in Caster 89 years ago, to provide health care to the area. The hospital was not yet finished and supplies were scarce.
Over the years they have continued to provide excellent care to the area and administered the facility until recently.
Two sisters sit on the board and two more provide pastoral care to patients, extended care guests and Paintearth Lodge residents.