Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of February 21, 2000
World Day of Prayer held on March 3
By WCR Staff
Nineteen churches in the Edmonton area will hold services March 3 marking the 2000 World Day of Prayer.
The World Day of Prayer is a worldwide ecumenical movement of Christian women who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year.
It was started by women more than 100 years ago and is observed in more than 170 countries today.
The order of service for this year's event was written by women in Indonesia and focuses on the theme Young Woman, Stand Up!
The service begins with one woman saying the Indonesian women who wrote the service "invite us to appreciate the stark reality of their lives and to celebrate God in our midst."
In Canada, the World Day of Prayer is coordinated by the Women's Inter-Church Council.
Among the local parishes holding World Day of Prayer services March 3 are:
- Good Shepherd Catholic, 18407-60 Ave., at 2 p.m.
- Westend Christian Reformed, 10015-149 St., 1:30 p.m.
- St. Andrew's Catholic, 12810-111 Ave., 1:30 p.m.
- St. Matthew's Catholic, 13131-86 St., 7:30 p.m.
- Exaltation of the Holy Cross Ukrainian Catholic, 9003-153 Ave., 7 p.m.
- St. Joseph's Basilica, 10044-113 St., 1 p.m.
- Augustana Lutheran (Spanish), 9901-107 St., 5 p.m.
- St. Clare's Catholic, 6310-118 Ave., 2 p.m.
- First Church of God, 9224-82 St., 7 p.m.
- St. James Catholic, 8350-77 Ave., 7 p.m.
- Immaculate Heart of Mary, 9809-76 Ave., 1:30 p.m.
- St. Agnes Catholic, 10826-62 Ave., 1:30 p.m.
- St. Thomas More Catholic, 3935-114 St., 1:30 p.m.
- Holy Family Catholic, St. Albert, 75 Poirier Ave., 7 p.m.
- First Asian Christian Community, 3530-91 St., 7 p.m.
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Sherwood Park, 13 Brower Drive, 7 p.m.
- Stony Plain United Church, 5012-51 Ave., 7 p.m.
- St. Jean Baptiste Catholic, Morinville, 10 a.m.
- Clandonald Bible Fellowship (phone 853-2098).
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 -- Western Catholic Reporter
Our mission: To serve our readers by bringing the Gospel to bear on current issues in the Church and in secular culture through accurate news coverage and reflective commentary.