Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of February 22, 1999
World Day of Prayer set for March 5
By WCR Staff
The 1999 World Day of Prayer service on March 5 will focus on God's Tender Touch.
The service, written by women in Venezuela, will be celebrated at thousands of Christian churches around the world, including nearly 20 in the Edmonton area.
In the liturgy, the women offer the sure knowledge that God wishes us to adopt a tender touch - a refusal to act with violence - as our way of living with each other and with creation.
They encourage fair and just action in a world affected by poverty and violence.
World Day of Prayer services have their roots in the late 19th century days of prayer held by American Presbyterian and Baptist women.
In 1887, Presbyterian women sent out a call for a national day of prayer for immigrants and the aftermath of slavery.
In the following years, Baptist women developed a day of prayer for home missions.
Eventually, the two days were combined to focus on national and international concerns.
The first truly international day of prayer was held between Canada and the U.S. in 1921. Today, services are held in over 170 nations.
The day of prayer is seen as a time to strengthen the bonds of Christian unity, share faith in Jesus Christ, pray, taken action for social justice and be enriched by other faith experiences.
In Canada, the World Day of Prayer is coordinated by the Women's Inter-Church Council of Canada and is celebrated in more than 2,000 communities.
In recent years, the worship service has been prepared by groups of women in Madagascar, South Korea and Haiti.
In 2000, it will be prepared by women in Indonesia.
Among the local parishes holding World Day of Prayer services on March 5 are:
- Trinity United, 8810 Meadow-lark Road, 7:30 p.m.
- St. John the Evangelist Catholic, 9830-148 St., 1:30 p.m.
- Kirk United, 13535-122 Ave., 2 p.m.
- Good Shepherd Anglican, 16105-108 St., 7 p.m.
- St. Michael's and All Angels Anglican, 5003-146 Ave., 7:30 p.m.
- Christ Church Anglican, 12116-102 Ave., 7 p.m.
- Highlands United, 11305-64 St., 2 p.m.
- Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic, 9040-95 Ave., 7 p.m.
- St. David's Anglican, 7751-85 St., 7 p.m.
- Ritchie United, 9624-74 Ave., 1:30 p.m.
- Day Spring Presbyterian, 11445-40 Ave., 1:30 p.m.
- St. Paul's United, 11526-76 Ave., 1:30 p.m.
- St. Albert United, 20 Green Grove Drive, St. Albert, 7 p.m.
- First Mennonite, 3650-91 St., 7 p.m.
- Ardrossan United, 22 Main St., Ardrossan, 7 p.m.
- Morinville United, Morinville Dr. and Grandin Dr., Morinville, (call 939-6193).
- St. Columba Catholic, Clandonald, (call 853-2084).
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic, 4504-52 Ave., Stony Plain, 7:30 p.m.