Last Updated: Friday - 09/24/2010
Week of May 19, 2008
Ten things teens wish parents knew but won’t tell them
Read the list and hear your youngster’s voice
Our Young Church
By ROY PETITFILS
- I have a deep desire for a sense of mystery - Please don't spoil life for me by telling me everything that you have learned unless it seriously impinges on my safety or well being. I really want to explore the mysterious unknown and learn some things for myself.
- I love Adventure -This is why I've seen Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia twice. These movies offer me the opportunity to explore the unknown. I'd rather do this for myself, but will settle for the movie version.
- I love My Friends - I know that you may not like all, if any, of my friends, but I love them and, really, I need them. They often provide for me a sense of security and validation that I am only finding in them. I understand that you will want to caution me about them, but when you do, just remember that you are cautioning me about someone whom I rely upon dearly.
- I need You - You think that because I push you away that I don't want you around when nothing could be further from the truth. The fact of the matter is that I desperately want a meaningful relationship with you. I have plenty of friends and don't need you to be my friend. I want you to be my mentor, parent and leader.
Thank you for loving me and giving me life.
- I am deeply spiritual - I want to hear about matters of faith, doctrine and religion but please present them to me in a manner keeping with my need for acceptance, and understand my desire to be extremely private about my faith life.
- I really want to be more than sitcom and reality TV tells me I'm destined for - I have dreams, hopes and aspirations. I also have goals! I haven't written them down because I'm not quite that Type A.
But I want to be somebody who's successful, though I am not at all sure what that means right now. Please don't lower the bar for me or allow me to lower my own standards for who I am or of what I am capable.
- I want to make an impression - I have a deep pressing need to be unique and to be special to somebody. This is one of the reasons I am preoccupied with having a boyfriend, girlfriend or a best friend. They make me feel special and unique. Even if I am not unique to the world in general, I am special to them.
- I desperately NEED for you to tell me you are proud of me! - I work so hard to please you and do what it is you ask, often hoping that it will merit for me some more of your time.
I know you are busy trying to earn a living for our family, but I need to hear you say that you are proud of me. Am I on the right track? If so, please tell me, because I mostly feel like I am wandering and floundering.
- I want to make a contribution - This is why I am often jumping at any opportunity to serve and give to the less fortunate. Even though I don't say it enough, I am grateful for everything you have done for me. The way I show that is through serving others.
- I love you!!! - This is the hardest thing in the world for me to say to you, which is why I hardly say it enough. Thank you for loving me and giving me life.
Copyright © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 -- Western Catholic Reporter
Our mission: To serve our readers by bringing the Gospel to bear on current issues in the Church and in secular culture through accurate news coverage and reflective commentary.