September 12, 2011
WESTERN CATHOLIC REPORTER
ST. ALBERT — In January 1861, Father Albert Lacombe and Bishop Alexandre Taché came to the top of the hill overlooking the Sturgeon River and decided that this would be the site of the new church.
Taché suggested it be named after Lacombe's patron saint, St. Albert. This site, now marked by a huge bronze statue of Lacombe, was not colonized until April 1861.