Irish Catholic leaders formally announced plans for the 50th International Eucharistic Congress.
The congress will be June 10-17, 2012, at various locations in the Dublin Archdiocese.
The closing Mass is expected to attract up to 80,000 pilgrims, including 12,000 from overseas.
During the official launch March 7, Dublin Archbishop Diarmuid Martin moved to dampen expectations that Pope Benedict will attend the congress.
"There are no plans in place for a visit of the pope at this moment," he said.
He added that the pope had been invited.
Anne Griffin, general manager of the congress, said that roughly 1,000 people from Canada have already expressed an interest in attending.